Chana Saag (Chickpea Spinach Curry)
Well, you gotta write something. Why not write the recipe I used to make Chana Saag or Chickpea Spinach Curry tonite.
- 1/2 tsp of mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp of cumin seeds
- 5-6 curry leaves
- 1 inch cinnamon stick
- 1 onion – thinly sliced or chopped
- 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- Alternately 1 inch of grated ginger and 5 cloves of minced garlic
- 1 can of diced or pureed tomatoes
- 1/2 tsp of turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp of chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp of garam masala
- 1 tsp of salt or to taste
- 2 15oz cans of chickpeas
- 1 pack of frozen spinach or 1 lb fresh baby spinach
- a pinch of chilli powder (cayenne)
Let’s start cooking. Make sure you have your favorite apron on – it’s important.
- Start with some oil in a saucepan on medium heat.
- Once the pan is hot, add the mustard seeds, cumin seeds, cinnamon stick and curry leaves.
- When the mustard seeds start popping, increase the heat to high and add the onions. Saute them until they’re golden.
- Reduce heat to medium and add turmeric powder, chilli powder, garam masala and salt.
- Add the ginger garlic paste or the grated ginger and minced garlic. Stir and mix everything well.
- Add the tomatoes and cook for 3-4 minutes until everything is mixed well. Ensure there are not chunky tomato pieces.
- Add the chickpeas next and mix everything well. Stir regularly and let it cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Add a pinch of cayenne chilli powder – for extra spice. You can skip it if you don’t want the dish hot.
- Add the spinach and let it simmer for 10 minutes with the lid on.
And that should be it. Serve with some warm roti, naan or basmatic rice. It’s gonna be yummy!